Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Happy Anniversary, My Queens...





"Everybody line up
The show is about to start
Places, the show is about to start
You have to show a look, have a look, or give a look
Faces, beautiful
No one ugly allowed..."

Monday nights in Atlanta belong to the small but tight knit group of drag performers known as “The Stars of the Century.” For ten years, these performers, who once included Miss Sophia, have presented a drag review that may be the best in black gay America.

What makes them “stars” are the numerous titles each cast member has assembled throughout his/her career in entertainment. Last night the Monday night show celebrated it's tenth year and I was in the house.

The creator and artistic director of the show is Mississippi native and drag icon, Niesha Dupree. Miss Niesha really is the drag empress of Atlanta and she is to be commended on making and maintaining what has become a mainstay in the black gay community.

I never thought I would enjoy drag shows but the performers with the stars of the century give one hell of a show. Those ole girls turned it last night.

Congratulations ladies…

4 comments:

BPS 4.0 : Soul Exposure said...

Oh I believe you will find the best in the ATL. I've seen the ones here in Dallas and they are just, in the words of Alex on Noah's Arc, WRONG!!

Brian C. Taylor said...

I WAS SO DAMN MAD I FELL ASLEEP LAST NITE AND MISSED THE DAMN SHOW. I HAD BEEN IN TALKS WITH NIESHA FOR OVER TWO WEEKS ABOUT THE SHOW, RESERVED A DAMN TABLE AND THEN FELL THE FUCK OUT.

I HEARD THE OPENING WAS REALLY CUTE... AND IM SURE THE GIRLS ALL TURNED IT.

Anonymous said...

Wow I hate i missed it. I heard the best shows are at the beginning of the month or right before rent is due. I hear they really perform then. Now thats just what i heard. I was not able to attend but i heard you and thomas nem had a good time.

Fe....

Lamar Perez said...

I just recently went to a drag show, really enjoyed it. Although I didn't know what to expect, and all the kidz in the club I was a little distracted, however the Queens held it down. I have a new appreciation for that sector of our community. You have got to be a man to do it.